How To Break the Stress Reaction with ReikiSep 02, 2021
- “What would have happened if I had taken some time out after realising that I was having a stress reaction, if I took some time out and stopped acting, and instead started listening within, tuning in to my body, what difference would that space have given me? “
- Do you want to feel less stressed and want to know how reiki can help? In this episode, learn how break the stress reaction with reiki in five steps.
- “Once you know what the warning signals are, when this happens again, you can be alerted to the fact, ok, this is phase one. If I continue without changing anything, I’m going to end up in my full blown stress reaction.
- “Often the body is the first place to demonstrate little signals that you’re stressed.”
- “Take a moment to relax it, release what no longer serves you.”
- Looking to become more aware of your body’s reaction to stress? This episode helps you learn to recognise the signs and act more quickly to avoid continued stress in the future.
- Watch the video to get the full training
- Has this helped? Pose with your representations of abundance and post using #christinacostareiki so I can find you on social media.
HOT NEWS & DEALS
- New to reiki? Try it out for yourself with FREE ACCESS to Christina’s “Online Reiki Experience:
- Want to get exclusive training from Christina? Sign up here to receive weekly inspiration and invitations to special events:
[Please note that Christina filmed this entire episode in one take, unscripted! This is a transcript of the exact words that she used while she was speaking extemporaneously and is unedited.]
Hi, it’s Christina from Christina Costa Reiki and this is my weekly reiki corner. So today, I want to talk about how to break the stress reaction using reiki. If you are not attuned to reiki, if you haven’t done any reiki training – don’t worry. That’s what we say in reiki all the time - don’t worry. Because you can simply connect to the energy in the universe. Try to think of that kind of warm, fluffy love, like an amazing hug. Connect to that energy and you’ll be pretty close. So please whenever I say connect to reiki, connect to that energy instead. So, how to break the stress reaction:
- Learn what it feels like to have a stress reaction. When I say a ‘stress reaction,’ I mean the things that your body does, the things that you do, that you think when you’re in stress. It’s obviously different for everybody but for me personally, I feel like it’s kind of a tunnel. It’s like a tunnel: it’s on a downward slope and I haven’t got any brakes! So the longer I’m in this tunnel, it gets faster and faster and faster and keeps going. This may be different for you, obviously we all have different responses, but I’ll use my tunnel example to help you relate. So, step number one is to learn to recognise exactly what your stress reaction is. To find your ‘tunnel.’ It could simply be that you’re going to be aware for the next week or so, so that when you find yourself feeling stressed, you really kind of know what it is and what it feels like for you to be stressed. So number 1, learn your stress reaction.
- Take the time to explore all the details of your stress reaction. I know this might seem odd, I know you might just want to get out of it, but actually I want you to take a look around. Get to know your stress reaction really, really well. Connect your stress reaction to your body. How does your body feel when you’re in this really stressed place? Are there any areas in your body where you notice a difference from when you’re having a stress reaction to when you’re relaxed? So I guess a classic would be shoulder tension, you know, you suddenly look around and realise, goodness, my shoulders are up around my ears! And that is a sign that you’re stressed. Maybe it’s a bit of tension in your belly? Sometimes we can be clenching the muscles in our belly and not really notice, but that is a stress reaction. Maybe something’s going on with our fingers? Maybe there’s some kind of clenching, or we’re moving our fingers? I tend to do this movement with my fingers sometimes, I find myself doing it and becoming aware of your body and how you’re feeling when you’re in this stress reaction. So if you’re feeling stressed I want you to (if you can, in your stressed state) feel into your body and really feel what it feels like. Or maybe you can simply remember a time when you were stressed, and really map our your stress reaction, get to know it, make it very intimate for you.
- Think of the different levels of your stress response. Usually, there are some warning signals and then it can ramp up. So I think I described mine that it’s like a tunnel: I go into the tunnel and there’s nothing else around, so I just have this stress reaction and it gets faster and faster and faster and builds momentum like I’m rolling down a hill with no breaks. But before it gets to that breakneck speed, there are definitely some warning signals. These often start out as small signals in your body. So, think about the different levels of your stress reaction and think about the warning signals. The reason for doing this is that:
Once you know what the warning signals are, when this happens again, you can be alerted to the fact, ok, this is phase one. If I continue without changing anything, I’m going to end up in my full blown stress reaction.
So before we move on, I want to take some time right now to do this because we know what it’s like, our lives are busy. So we’re going to do this right now, ok? Just for a few minutes, now connect to reiki, or connect to that oneness, love and fluffiness feeling, just feel that connection to universal energy. Now from this place of calm within, I want you to think about a time that you were very stressed. Make it recent, make it the last time you were stressed and you had a reaction. By that, I mean you felt stressed, and you continued down a stressed path, so you took some actions whilst stressed. Maybe you’re even feeling stressed right now. So I want you to feel into your body, start in your toes and work your way up. Just check each area. Is there any tension? It’s quite ok to just relax that area and release. But make a note of where the tension was. And what about your mind, what about your head? Do you feel like your brain is straining? Do your eyes feel like they’re straining even though they are closed? Is there any tension up there? And if so, just
take a moment to relax it, release what no longer serves you.
As you’re doing it, remember where that tension was. Remember your little stress hotspots.
Often the body is the first place to demonstrate little signals that you’re stressed.
You might feel it in the body before your brain catches up and realises. So just take time to thank your body and promise to be more in tune with your body in the future. And be aware of these little signals. And just say thank you to reiki for helping you have these realisations. And now we are ready to move to step umber four.
- Think about the results of actions that you’ve take whilst being in a stressed state. Think of the consequences of those reactions. Would there have been a better way? Were those actions you took necessary? Were they effective? I don’t know about you, but for me, if I’m in that tunnel, my reaction is to take action! I start to make ‘to do’ lists, I start creating things in like a second, and everything has to be now, now, now. That’s my particular stress reaction.
And often, on reflection of actions that I’ve taken while I was stressed, I realise, actually I didn’t need to do anything!
It really was not necessary. Sometimes, of course, there are things you need to do. But maybe they’re not things you have to do imminently and straight away. So the question is:
What would have happened if I had taken some time out after realising that I was having a stress reaction, if I took some time out and stopped acting, and instead started listening within, tuning in to my body, what difference would that space have given me?
Now this is a question for you to answer, I’m not going to tell you this one. But just consider how things may turn out in the future if you allow yourself space. Instead of a tumbling of actions that are in fact, reactions.
- Don’t expect to be able to stop a stress reaction straightaway.
Every time that we have an expectation or we’re really attached to an outcome, it causes us suffering if that doesn’t happen.
So don’t set the expectation that you have to change all of this straightaway. Something that is really realistic though, is to become more aware of your stress reactions. Okay? So that’s what I’m going to ask you to do for the next week. Become aware of what it feels lie when you’re: slightly stressed, stressed, really stressed and abut to explode. We’ve all got these different levels. Become aware of what happens in your body, what happens in your mind, what actions you end up taking, so that you know yourself better. Then perhaps in the future, you’ll be able to recognise these things a lot more quickly, giving yourself the space you need, so that when you have a stress reaction you can recognise it, step away and give yourself some space. Bring in some light for yourself and to the situation that is causing you stress.
Thank you so much, I really hope that you found this useful. I would really love it if you could comment. So if you’re watching this on my blog, you can actually watch it on YouTube and write in the comments below and I would love some more subscribers so please subscribe! That would make me very happy. Thank you, have an amazing week and I’ll be back next week with my next reiki corner. Thank you.